GBCC Board Meeting Minutes
June 14, 2010
Present: Kara Brown, Art Wolf, Tony Allred, Chip Walsh, Bill Offutt, Marty Levine, John Kemper, Michael Quinn, Marycarol Skaggs
Call to Order: 7:33
Secretary’s Rpt, Marycarol Skaggs: Approve minutes of 4/2010? Yes. MC will post on forum.
Treasurer’s Rpt, Mike Quinn:
- •Negotiated with ACA $10/member for this past year, but next year will be $15. Raise the price of roll sessions? Needs to know by October. (Pool is $130 for 2 hours.) Discuss at August Board Meeting. Bill O. will look into getting another pool.
- oJones Falls Release? May not happen this year.
- oWV RiversNo contribution this year
- •General Meetings line item includes food for BOTR
- •Membership number is missing from the report
- •Accept the Treasurer’s Report? Yes.
Safety Report, Tony Allred: John G’s class was a success. There were 29 students. All paid John directly for the class. Do we reimburse GBCC members? Tony will get a list to find out how many of the 29 were our members.
Membership/Roster: YTD 201 membership households. This time last year 204. Kara will call Angela regarding Roster.
Conservation, Chip Walsh:
- •Tire Run: Successful. Tony made a really bad pun!
- •Pax Trash-out 2: Scheduled Nov 6. Chip won’t be able to make it (sadly). River Keepers will contract the metal cutters, which is where the LLBean grant will go. There are 6 cars to cut up.
- •LGP Access: Thurs June 24 Marty, Chip and Steve will do a site tour with Jen from the park to determine what is needed.
Programs, Kara Brown: Mike Aranoff will be the speaker at the September meeting. He is an outfitter who runs trips on the middle fork of the Salmon.
Website, Marycarol Skaggs, John Kemper:
- •CPA just re-did their site last year. Chip will pave the way for that contact.
- •We own the domain name. We don’t have anything except Lunar Pages that is tied to Duane.
- •Kathe Flynn offered graphics help.
- •Mtg of Ad-hoc Committee (Tony, Mike, John) on June 23.
Jones Falls Update: Baltimore County took over Lake Roland. no dam release in July. Future releases won’t cost us anything. Larry Zeaflea represents the Club on the committee. Slip possibility of a release later in the year.
Tire Run: Park has been piling up tires we’ve been pulling out for years because they don’t have money to dispose of them properly. Buddy suggested another ACA grant and/or fundraising. Buddy is trying to find out cost. Concern is whether they’ll keep taking tires that we pull out.
General Meetings: Kara reserved the room for next years meetings (thanks to Art’s wife!).
Beginners Class Next Year: Hire a teacher and support with volunteers? Home-grow another ACA teacher? Is it necessary to have an ACA instructor teach the beginners class? Regardless, a beginner’s class should have two key people: The teacher and the coordinator. The coordinator will take care of all the administrative details of the class so that the teacher can just show up and teach it.